Monday, March 23, 2009

Three Years.

Last night, when I was trying to find something to do, a realization hit me. We has three years left before we graduate. three years. Three years ago, I thought I loved to sing and act more than anything else in the world. Three years ago from today, I was still in elementary. It seems like it wasn't so long ago, you know?

I remember exactly what I used to do at recess, I remember the games me and my friends made up. I remember the songs I sang every week in music class... I know this is probably not the easiest thing to believe, but in the sixth grade, I never had one late or missing assignment! Crazy, don't you think?

In sixth grade, I also received one of those high honors academics awards in math. I think I was ranked somewhere in the sixties throughout the entire country. I passed the test to skip Pre-Algebra in seventh grade, but in the end I didn't because I didn't want to miss anything. I didn't want to be among the older kids who would leave me when they had to go to either Davis or Layton. I didn't want to make friends and then have those friendships disappear, you know?

Makes me kind of wonder whatever happened to my being smart-ness. Maybe I wasn't really and the stuff we did back then was just so simple to me but as it got harder my brain couldn't handle it? Or maybe it was because I didn't really feel challenged for a long time and still don't? I don't know.

Three years isn't very long at all. In three years, I'll be a legal adult. In three years, I'll need to have at least a generic idea of what I'm going to do in life. But what if I can't? I recently learned that Choir is totally not my thing, and that acting isn't really something I'd want to do for a living, either. I don't want to be a teacher because I've got, like, no patience at all, and I don't think I'd be able to make it very far with my writing either.

There are a few things, however, that I think I might pursue. You see, I also recently learned that I like to write screenplays. I mean, you get the story, but you don't have to have as much detail--and besides, someday you could actually see it performed. I also kind of like costume design--only the problem is, I can't sew amazingly (yet), and I can't draw very well either. :/ And then the only other thing I can think I would actually like doing is set design. Because whenever I watch movies, they rarely have an awful set, it's pretty awesome what people can do.

So here I am, wondering what I'll be doing ten years from now. A little over ten years ago, I was having a party and Chuckie Cheese's--strange, don't you think? That we remember such trivial things about our lives? If I felt like it, I could probably tell you the names of everyone I ever actually knew and give you a detailed description about them. But will that really matter ten years from now? Will the fact that I'm writing this blog while I think of how to write my literary analysis matter when I'm graduating from highschool?

What if I decide not to go to college? Then will any of these "required" classes ever really come into use? When I grow up, I don't want a job where I sit around all day doing paperwork. I don't want a job where I have to constantly use math. What will it matter ten years from now that I know where Father Escalante and Father Dominguez traveled from and went to? Will it matter to me that there was one group of pioneers that resorted to eating each other in the Winter? Will it matter to me who was president in the year 1856?

I know that this sounds really naive and all that crazy junk--but really. What will I end up doing and will any of this stuff matter?

We have three years left of childhood and immaturity before it becomes our past. I know that just because you turn eighteen you don't have to act like an adult... but in a lot of cases you do.

We graduate in three years, and who knows what we'll do after that? Will we actually know what to do with our days when we don't have to spend most of them at school? Will we land a job that we like and want to keep, or not?

Well, I guess I ought to start writing my literary analysis now... this could take awhile and will matter if I actually decide to go to college and want to do something that requires taking English. :/

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of this than it actually is. Yeah, I'm probably just being over dramatic or something... well, toodilu! Gotta go write that paper now!

╰☆╮Mimi╰☆╮

1 comment:

Twitchy Insomniac said...

I completely agree with you. It's scary, thinking about how fast everything is happening-I mean, next year we're in HIGH SCHOOL, for heaven's sake! When did THAT happen?

My Stalkers